Dwellers of cold places tune in, for here is a pie that will insulate your body against the harshest winter storms. Bikini loving readers you may want to steer clear because your taste buds will betray you. Or don't, because it's awesome.
This spinoff of the "tarte au maroilles", a Northern-French specialty is the like heaven for the quiche and pizza lovers. And just like those two staple dishes, it is super easy to make and great for clearing out the smelliest part of your long-since-emptied fridge.
The Cheese Pie.
Makes about two 10" pies
Serves 4-10 people
- all of the cheeses and bits of cheeses left over in your fridge. It is nice to have a combination of sharp and tangy cheeses with some softer milder ones. Even powdered cheeses like parmesan is great in this!
- 4 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk (might as well go all the way, right?)
- salt & pepper to taste
- your favorite pie crust, homemade or store-bought x 2
Preheat oven to 360º.
Cut up all the little pieces of cheese and put them aside.
Beat the eggs and combine with the milk and butter.
Add cheese on top.
Cook for about 20 minutes.
Serve warm with a nice fresh simple green salad and a citrus vinaigrette. Or with a side of pie.
This pie freezes very well so you can save it for potlucks with your friends or cut it up in small pieces for little amuse bouches.
Bon appétit mes amis !